First In - First Out: Principle
In FIFO configuration (First In - First Out), the pallets are loaded in the gravity lanes on the entry side (the highest point). The slope then carries the pallets from the loading point to the retrieval point. When a pallet is unloaded, the next pallet automatically takes its place thereby ensuring that the goods are constantly available.
FIFO stock management guarantees stock rotation as the first pallet to be loaded in a lane is the first pallet available at the picking face on the retrieval side. This management method is particularly efficient for perishable goods.
- Space saving: uses 60%-100% less space than conventional storage systems
- Low maintenance
- No energy consumption
- Long service life
- Fast handling and picking: goods are always available at the picking place
- No intermediate aisles: only one for loading and another for unloading
- High profitability: ROI in less than 2 years.
- Low labor costs: fewer operators required.
- Reduced forklift truck operation.